- USC College Prep- Pico Union/Westlake
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Full Time
2017-18 Founding Special Education Resource Specialist
Our founding Special Education Resource Specialist will serve as teaching support for students with IEPs and will manage a caseload of student IEPs. As a member of this founding staff, the Special Education Resource Specialist's innovative contributions and leadership as a team player will be instrumental in building the success of our school.
About USC College Prep- Pico Union/Westlake
USC College Prep- Pico Union/Westlake is a new charter high school powered by Ednovate in partnership with the University of Southern California. We will open just west of downtown Los Angeles in the fall of 2017 and will expand one grade level per year until we serve students in grades 9-12 in 2020.
Our mission is to empower our students to use their college degrees and careers to make a positive multigenerational change. We will provide students and families a safe and nurturing school culture that has high expectations and that delivers a rigorous and personalized college prep experience. Our innovative classroom approach allows students to learn at their own pace through a curriculum that uses online lessons, digital platforms, small-group learning, coaching and one-on-one instruction. Along with personalizing the learning experience, we care about instilling a deep sense of purpose in our students and developing valuable relationships in our school community. Redesigning the high school experience requires that staff members reflect constantly on the impact of their actions and collaborate to continuously improve their practice.
The Resource Specialist must embody our core mindsets and be active participants in the staff community. They will be responsible for enforcing our school-wide student code of conduct with 100% consistency along with all school staff. At USC College Prep- Pico Union/Westlake, all staff will lead weekly workshops to help students explore topics not covered in any course curricula. Team members will engage in lively debates around planning, student learning outcomes and school culture. They should neither shy away from conflict nor accountability to results as measured through student learning outcomes and strategic plan goals.
The Special Education Resource Specialist will take responsibility for creating and implementing support programs as defined in the IEP. The specialist will hold IEP meetings and develop IEP goals and objectives that address students of all ability levels. The specialist will collaborate with core content teachers to appropriately accommodate and modify lessons and instructional materials. This includes using on-going data analysis and careful action planning to best support students' needs. The specialist will also ensure that all students on their caseload meet our 6 yearly promotion requirements.
The ideal candidate:
- Is passionate about increasing the college attainment rate in educationally underserved populations and working with families of diverse backgrounds
- Has an unwavering belief in academic success for all students
- Is committed to our mission, discipline model, and vision
- Enjoys a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and is eager to build new systems or adapt existing ones
- Collaborates well and engages in healthy, collegial conflict
- Is comfortable with a high degree of transparency and accountability for results
- Is resourceful, persistent, and constantly reflective on improving results
- Finds joy in their work and thrives with autonomy, flexibility and accountability
- Connects well to students and values communication and partnership with families
- Demonstrates successful results as a special education teacher
- Has strong content knowledge in all subject areas
- Is committed to personalizing the learning experience for all students
- Is committed to our discipline model
- Is a graduate of a four-year university
- Has a valid teaching credential (or is willing to enroll in a credentialing program and work toward a valid credential)
This is a full-time position that will begin in the later half of July 2017.
Wages & Benefits
The salary for this job is competitive and commensurates with experience; a competitive benefit package is included.
To submit an application, please visit our website at http://ednovate.org/careers. Ednovate is strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff, and we encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds. Ednovate does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnic origin, or any other reason prohibited by state or federal law.