- USC College Prep- Pico Union/Westlake
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Full Time
2017-18 USC College Prep- Pico Union/Westlake - Founding Social Studies (Reading) Teacher
Our founding History Teacher position will instruct and lead an advisory of 9th grade students in a personalized learning and blended learning environment. As a member of this founding staff, the History teacher's innovative contributions and leadership as a team player will be instrumental in building the success of our school.
About USC College Prep- Pico Union/Westlake
USC College Prep- Pico Union/Westlake is a new charter high school powered by Ednovate in partnership with the University of Southern California. We will open just west of downtown Los Angeles in the fall of 2017 and will expand one grade level per year until we serve students in grades 9-12 in 2020.
Our mission is to empower our students to use their college degrees and careers to make a positive multigenerational change. We will provide students and families a safe and nurturing school culture that has high expectations and that delivers a rigorous and personalized college prep experience. Our innovative classroom approach allows students to learn at their own pace through a curriculum that uses online lessons, digital platforms, small-group learning, coaching and one-on-one instruction. Along with personalizing the learning experience, we care about instilling a deep sense of purpose in our students and developing valuable relationships in our school community. Redesigning the high school experience requires that staff members reflect constantly on the impact of their actions and collaborate to continuously improve their practice.
Teachers must embody our core mindsets and be active participants in the staff community. They will be responsible for enforcing our school-wide student code of conduct with 100% consistency along with all school staff. At USC College Prep- Pico Union/Westlake, all staff will lead weekly workshops to help students explore topics not covered in any course curricula. Team members will engage in lively debates around planning, student learning outcomes and school culture. They should neither shy away from conflict nor accountability to results as measured through student learning outcomes and strategic plan goals.
As instructors, USC College Prep- Pico Union/Westlake teachers will develop, collate, and/or adjust a rigorous college-prep curriculum that uses technology and project-based learning to help personalize the learning experience for every student. On a daily, weekly and quarterly basis, instructors will engage in a continual series of rigorous data analysis to maximize student learning and progress each day. Teachers will receive professional support and coaching, and teachers can expect to learn from their colleagues as they collaborate, innovate, and attain success in their classrooms.
Teachers also serve as advisors, who meet with a cohort of advisees every day over a four-year span and develop a tight-knit community. Advisors help students set and reach academic goals; support the college-going process; and provide socio-emotional skill development. Advisors will support their advisees in meeting the school's six yearly promotion requirements by coaching students 1-1, setting goals, discussing setbacks, and developing improvement strategies. Advisors will be expected to initiate communication and to build meaningful partnerships with the parents/caregivers of their advisees.
The ideal candidate:
- Is passionate about increasing the college attainment rate in educationally underserved populations and working with families of diverse backgrounds
- Has an unwavering belief in academic success for all students
- Is committed to our mission, discipline model, and vision
- Enjoys a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and is eager to build new systems or adapt existing ones
- Collaborates well and engages in healthy, collegial conflict
- Is comfortable with a high degree of transparency and accountability for results
- Is resourceful, persistent, and constantly reflective on improving results
- Finds joy in their work and thrives with autonomy, flexibility and accountability
- Connects well to students and values communication and partnership with families
- Demonstrates successful results as an instructor
- Is committed to personalizing the learning experience for all students
- Has effective classroom management and is committed to our discipline model
- Is a graduate of a four-year university
- Has a valid teaching credential (or is willing to enroll in a credentialing program and work toward a valid credential)
This is a full-time position that will begin in the later half of July 2017.
Wages & Benefits
The salary for this job is competitive and commensurates with experience; a competitive benefit package is included.
To submit an application, please visit our website at http://ednovate.org/careers. Ednovate is strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff, and we encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds. Ednovate does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnic origin, or any other reason prohibited by state or federal law.